Saturday, April 14, 2007

So Glad to Have Been So Wrong

My name is Gloria Greggs and I bought some spy phone software to catch my husband out. I didn’t know whether he was being unfaithful but I had some idea that things might have gone awry. The thing that made me most suspicious actually was his secret phone calls. There was always a lot of muttering going on down the phone and, when I entered the room, throat clearing and a hasty replacement of the handset. Accompanied by a guilty look. Something was wrong here and he did not seem to be trying that hard to hide the fact.

We should have been happier and spending more time together. Our twenty year anniversary was coming up soon and he seemed to have forgotten. I couldn’t stand the suspense of wondering what was wrong so I invested in some spy phone software.

Frustratingly, all seemed to go quiet for a few days. He was being more careful, perhaps, aware that I was on to him. I felt very tense and very stressed out. I was hoping obviously that I was wrong and I needed the reassurance. Twenty years is a long time to be with somebody and I desperately hope he was not becoming bored with me and seeking attention and satisfaction elsewhere. In one way, I dreaded finding out what was going on and in another way I just had to know one way or the other.

And then I got my answer. I was using an interceptor so I was able to listen to Fred’s calls. I was shocked by what I heard but pleasantly so. I was the guilty one for mistrusting him, not him for cheating on me. He was not! He was booking the cruise of a lifetime and having all kinds of trouble with the booking, the poor man. He had not forgotten about our anniversary at all. Now I had to pretend I knew nothing about it, which was very hard. I went shopping and bought new clothes. I had my hair done. Fred must have wondered what was going on and whether I had an inkling about what he was booking but I had to contain my excitement and when, on our anniversary, he presented me with the tickets, I had to look surprised and delighted. I was delighted anyway and I managed to get away with faking the surprise.

Here’s to another twenty happy years!

No comments: